Penn Area Library is proud to rank as a PA Forward ‘Gold Star’ Library!In 2017, as participants in the Pennsylvania Library Association’s 21st Century Libraries Initiative, PA Forward, we completed all of the criteria to earn the status of Gold Star in the PA Forward Star Libraries Program.
With the right support, libraries are ideally positioned to become the community centers of information, technology, and learning that will fuel educational and economic opportunity for all of our citizens.
In the process of completing requirements for the prestigious title, we earned our Bronze Star and all five PA Forward Silver Stars — in five types of literacies: Basic, Information, Civic and Social, Health, and Financial. This initiative places the spotlight on Pennsylvania libraries and the important role libraries play in the lives of citizens. Penn Area Library strives to raise awareness of its programs and offerings that help citizens improve their command of these five types of literacy — literacies which are essential to greater success in all vital roles of life: as students, as parents, as employees, as consumers, as citizens.
Penn Area Library has participated in the PA Forward Star Libraries Program in several ways: through our adult book discussion groups; presenting story times to children; our Dogs ‘n Tales read-aloud program; our annual Summer Reading Clubs; and through hosting programs such as:
- Protecting and Preserving Your Wild and Wonderful Watershed by the Turtle Creek Watershed Association
- Ulysses S. Grant: An Evening With the General by Kenneth Serfass
- Identity Theft 101: Computers, Tablets & Smartphones by Gina McGrath of the Greensburg YWCA
- The 1918 Flu Pandemic Invades Westmoreland County by Dr. Thomas Soltis of WCCC
- Solar Eclipse Program by Dr. John Smetanka of St. Vincent College
- The Beatles Alter Ego, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by professional Beatles scholar Aaron Krerowicz
- Estate Planning Basics: what every Millennial parent should know, but is too afraid to ask… by John W. Ament, Esquire
- The Vietnam War program series with the Vietnam Veterans of Westmoreland County, Time-Line Enterprises, and the White Oak Vet Center
- Concerts by “Ragtime Jack” Radcliffe, Hungrytown, and Simple Gifts
We are thrilled to have completed the requirements to be designated a Gold Star Library, and we certainly plan to continue promoting the five literacies long into the future, says Dorene Miller, director.