REGISTRATION IS OPEN FOR OUR ADULT WINTER READING CLUB, WHICH NOW FEATURES THE “READ HARDER” CHALLENGE!
To register, stop by the library in person or call 724-744-4414. A valid WLN library card is needed to participate, and only library books count!
The program begins at 9am December 21st (Winter Solstice) and ends at 8pm March 20th (Spring Equinox).
Patrons can participate by reading books of their choice, receiving one prize ticket for each book read. Baskets will be on display soon.
Or, pick up the “Read Harder” Challenge list of books and receive one special GOLD ticket for each book read for a chance to win a Kindle Paperwhite! Bring your list to the library each time you visit so that our staff can verify the book you’ve read and give you a GOLD ticket. Only GOLD tickets are eligible for a chance to win the Kindle Paperwhite.
Tickets will be awarded from 9am December 28th through 8pm March 20th. Drawings will be held March 21st and winners will be notified by phone.
Penn Area Library is proud to rank as a PA Forward ‘Gold Star’ Library!In 2017, as participants in the Pennsylvania Library Association’s 21st Century Libraries Initiative, PA Forward, we completed all of the criteria to earn the status of Gold Star in the PA Forward Star Libraries Program.
With the right support, libraries are ideally positioned to become the community centers of information, technology, and learning that will fuel educational and economic opportunity for all of our citizens.
In the process of completing requirements for the prestigious title, we earned our Bronze Star and all five PA Forward Silver Stars — in five types of literacies: Basic, Information, Civic and Social, Health, and Financial. This initiative places the spotlight on Pennsylvania libraries and the important role libraries play in the lives of citizens. Penn Area Library strives to raise awareness of its programs and offerings that help citizens improve their command of these five types of literacy — literacies which are essential to greater success in all vital roles of life: as students, as parents, as employees, as consumers, as citizens.
Penn Area Library has participated in the PA Forward Star Libraries Program in several ways: through our adult book discussion groups; presenting story times to children; our Dogs ‘n Tales read-aloud program; our annual Summer Reading Clubs; and through hosting programs such as:
- Protecting and Preserving Your Wild and Wonderful Watershed by the Turtle Creek Watershed Association
- Ulysses S. Grant: An Evening With the General by Kenneth Serfass
- Identity Theft 101: Computers, Tablets & Smartphones by Gina McGrath of the Greensburg YWCA
- The 1918 Flu Pandemic Invades Westmoreland County by Dr. Thomas Soltis of WCCC
- Solar Eclipse Program by Dr. John Smetanka of St. Vincent College
- The Beatles Alter Ego, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by professional Beatles scholar Aaron Krerowicz
- Estate Planning Basics: what every Millennial parent should know, but is too afraid to ask… by John W. Ament, Esquire
- The Vietnam War program series with the Vietnam Veterans of Westmoreland County, Time-Line Enterprises, and the White Oak Vet Center
- Concerts by “Ragtime Jack” Radcliffe, Hungrytown, and Simple Gifts
We are thrilled to have completed the requirements to be designated a Gold Star Library, and we certainly plan to continue promoting the five literacies long into the future, says Dorene Miller, director.
Enjoy hundreds of bargains and support the library at the same time!
The Friends of PAL are selling the 2018 Enjoy Pittsburgh coupon book for $30 each. Please be sure to stop by the library to buy your copy soon!
All proceeds will benefit the services and programs of Penn Area Library.
Thanks for your support!